Dazzling DIY Skin Care
Last week’s post was an essential oil primer. This week, we focus on natural and easy ways to take care of your skin at home.
“…for nature gives to every time and season for some beauties of its own…” ~ Charles Dickens ~
Here are my top six tips for at-home skin care:
- Wear sunscreen! My favorite is Lavera.
- Wash gently. No need to scrub.
- Cleanse thoroughly. Use a cream based cleanser to gently remove make-up or as a daily cleanser. Our Lavender & Rose Cleansing Cream is perfect!
- Moisturize. Lots of options – from lotions to creams to serums. Use what works for you.
- Use a non-abrasive exfoliant such as oat flour mixed with aloe juice. Serious yum for the skin.
- Use a moisturizing masque once or twice a week. I love using kaolin clay.
Looking to use essential oils in your skin care routine?
Here are my four favorites:
- Carrot seed (Daucus carota) ~ Excellent for cellular regeneration, especially when blended with Lavender!
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) ~ Lovely oil, perfect for all skin types.
- Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens) ~ Helps to balance sebum – recommended for dry, oily or combination skin.
- Frankincense (Boswellia ssp.) ~ Recommended for dry and mature skin.
- Herbal facial steam using organic herbs. Dried lavender, chamomile, rose calendula, yarrow and elderflowers all work well. If you have couperose skin do not use a facial steam.
- Make a toner from green tea.
- Serums made from sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, hazelnut or macadamia nut oils.
- Exfoliate with baking soda, oat flour or superfine sugar. Place into a clean pyrex, make into a slurry and enjoy!
- Vinotherapy – 1/2 cup of chianti wine, mixed with 1 cup of plain organic yogurt. Mix thoroughly. Stand in your tub or shower and gently apply this decadent mixture from head to toe. Wait 5-15 minutes and rinse. Pat dry. Follow with your favorite moisturizer.